I decided I needed to take my pants off. It improved my disposition greatly.

I’m just a regular woman, living in Michigan, 22 years old, 2 cats, there’s nothing extraordinary or fantastic about me, so I assume that my thoughts can’t be too exciting to anyone other than myself. But that’s quite all right, because this blog is first and foremost, for myself and nobody else. This will hold the chronicles of my boring life as I try to change myself for the better, I’m hoping to write every day, or every other day at least, but we’ll just have to see.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Blanc, Michigan, United States

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Rant on weight and random applesauce.

An infomercial for yet another weight loss gimmick has a woman claiming “I went from a size 10 to a size 0, and I’ve NEVER been a size 0” but that statement prompts all sorts of questions from me.

For starters, what’s wrong with being a size 10?

In all honesty, I don’t think anything is. I’m overweight, and I’m perfectly aware of this, and I wear a size 18. According to my old dietician, I could weigh 150 pounds and be perfectly healthy.

This Website has a lot of good points about dieting and American women.

  • The average American woman is 5'4" tall and weighs 140 pounds.
  • The average American model is 5'11" tall and weighs 117 pounds.
  • Most fashion models are thinner than 98% of American women.
  • Four out of five American women say they're dissatisfied with the way they look.
  • On any given day, almost half of the women in the United States are on a diet.
  • Almost half of American children between first and third grades say they want to be thinner.
  • Four out of five ten-year-old children are afraid of being fat.
  • On any given day, one in four men are on a diet.
  • Half of our nine and ten-year-old girls say that being on a diet makes them feel better about themselves.
  • More than one out of three "normal dieters" progress to pathological dieting. One fourth of those will suffer from partial or full syndrome eating disorders.
  • Americans spend over forty billion dollars a year on dieting and diet related products.
  • Between five and ten million women and girls in the United States struggle with eating disorders and borderline conditions.
  • One million boys and men struggle with eating disorders and borderline conditions.
  • The number of people with eating disorders and borderline conditions is triple the number of people living with AIDS (664,921 people are living with AIDS).
  • Eating disorders affect at least three times as many people as schizophrenia does (2.2 million people are living with schizophrenia).

What the hell is wrong with our society when children in the first grade think they should be thinner? Why can’t women just understand that our bodies are plumper and rounder than men, and that striving to be the size of a fashion model is self-destructive and foolish! Look at a Botticelli painting, the women are round, plump, and healthy, and they were the epitome of beauty at the time. When did we decide that women were no longer allowed to be what we are, curvaceous goddesses with pear shaped hips, sweet bellies, and round bottoms...

I blame two sources for the insecurity in body image in women. Firstly, the media, constant parades models in front of us, models so thin that their hips and collarbones jut out like broken glass, models with no real curves of their own, so they have to use silicone. The media puts these in front of us, and calls them “the ideal woman” and all of a sudden every little girl in America is looking at her hips, butt, and boobs, and saying “Wait a minute, these aren’t supposed to be there, these are fat, I’m fat, I’m ugly!” and the fact that little boys grow up seeing these models, and think that women aren’t supposed to have curves. It’s very frustrating.

I’m obese I’ll admit it. I’ll even tell you how much I weigh; I’m 5’3 and 220 pounds. I started a weight loss program in November of 2004, and lost a total of 45 pounds before I got sick of it. It was disgusting to have to measure and weigh my food every day, and to choke down the powdered “supplements” that they forced on me. To make it worse, the amount of money we wasted there was criminal. It will never be worth it to me to make myself suffer that much to lose weight. I was ill all the time, too much food, to little food, too much bland food, too much crappy disgusting powdered supplements... I will lose the weight in time. With eating healthily and exercising, not gimmicks and drugs.


On a completely unrelated note, I made brownies today, substituted the required 1/3 of a cup of oil with 1/3 of a cup of applesauce. They're yummy and soft, and taste nothing like apples. And they're also much less fattening than they would have been, as one tablespoon on oil adds 14 grams of fat to the entire recipe, where as applesauce only adds a negligible amount of calories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home